Monday, May 16, 2016

Week 52

   Hey Mom! This week has been really good. Sounds super weird that you guys are in Maine, talking about snow, it was pretty hot yesterday. Dad doesn't sound like he really loves the wood stove you guys have but it's better than nothing I guess.
    Not really a ton has happened in the past week, Elder Juarez and I are finding a lot more investigators, I think we are working with some 15 people right now or something. The only problem is it's super hard to get in touch with them. They are always gone and it's a small town so people like to leave to go have fun or shop in other towns for the weekends. But it keeps us on our toes I guess. The branch is doing a lot better, we almost filled the parking lot yesterday in church, given it's a small parking lot. But that is improvement. It depends on the weather here a lot, if it's cold in the morning, people don't get out of bed, and when we ask why they didn't go to church, they say, "well it was cold this morning." It's kind of ridiculous but I can't say that I haven't stayed home for silly reasons in the past. 
      Elder Juarez and I are trying to have more love for the people. It is hard to just have a love for everyone. Our zone leaders asked us if we really love people, and we were like yeah, and then he asked if we would die for our members, our investigators or just some random guy on the street, just because we knew how much he means to God. I definitely am not where I need to be when it comes to having charity. There are a few scriptures that I really like,
             1 Cor 13: 1-3
 1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as‍ sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor,‍ and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
       I can be a really "great" missionary, and know what to say and how to help people, what their needs are, but if I don't really love them, it is not going to help either of us. We are trying to look more for the potential in people, praying for the gift of charity and doing more service. I thought going on a mission was enough to show my love, but it really means nothing. We talked about how important it will be for our future with our wives (don't worry, just 1 each) and for being able to serve in the church.
     The mission is a great opportunity to learn, you can never feel adequate with where you are, there is always room for improvement, that's part of what I love about the Gospel.
         Thanks for emailing me! I love you, have a great week, stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment